Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Norman Jones Norman Jones is offline

Default VBA - 300 Columns Of Text

Hi Alan,

See MSKB Article # 272729:

'How to import data with more than 256 fields or columns into Excel'
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272729

---
Regards,
Norman

"Alan" wrote in message

"ajocius" wrote in
message ...

Group,

How do I open a .dat file that is essentially a text file with
about 300 columns (comma delimited) of data. When I attempt to open
the file with Excel, I get only the first 254 columns and the rest is
dropped. I'm willing to put the remaining 60 some columns on another
sheet. How would I do that in VBA. Any help would be great.

Tony

--
ajocius
ajocius's Profile:

Can I suggest that you consider using Access rather than Excel?

300 columns is too big for a single worksheet (as you note) and I suspect
that excel will run like a dog with that much data in it (I am assuming a
significant number of rows / records too?)

HTH,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is: