Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default GetOpenFilename, MS Access 2k

Peter,

I tested this from Word not Access but same principle

Sub getFile()
Dim xlApp As Object
Dim sFile

Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
xlApp.Visible = True
sFile = xlApp.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")
If sFile < False Then
MsgBox "Open " & sFile
End If
xlApp.Quit
Set xlApp = Nothing

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Peter Ostermann" wrote in message
Hi folks,

as we all know, above mentioned fine Open dialogue
object is not available in Access, only in Excel. The pity is,
that there is no other equivalent object in Access that offers
the same comfort (aside of huge self-written VBA-procs.
for to make use of the API).

I wonder if there is any workaround. Is it possible by VBA-code
to call up from Access an Excel workbook that is "prepared"
with VBA code for to start that GetOpenFilename dialogue
to navigate through the directories, make a dataset
available for Access, and then close Excel and jumping
right back to the calling VBA-routine in Access, now having
access to the opened file?

If not, would it be possible to do likewise with an Word-mail-merge
template? Thanks in advance for any hint.

Best Regards from Germany
Peter
www.pkf-ostermann.de