Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jess Wundring Jess Wundring is offline

Default Cells.Find woe

Thanks Norm and JE but I've tried it with

Dim x as Object
and
Dim x as Range
and without any dim statement whatsoever

I've tried it for each of the above cases with

Set x = Cells.Find....
and just plain old
x = Cells.Find....

all of these cases give me error 91 when the Cells.Find statement fails to
find an instance of "What".

Am I missing something? The only diff I see in Norm's example is that he
assigns the What to a string var. And I see no diff in JE's example, unless
you think it might be my variable names?

Anyway....Thanks for responding you guys. I really appreciate it. Hope
Microsoft fixes their Help system for Office 12. It's so f****g broken right
now I want to scream whenever I try to use it. Sometimes I actually do
scream. :)

"Jess Wundring" wrote:

I've been trying to get the following code to work in Excel 2003. It's fine
if X is found. It breaks on the X assignment statement if Cells.Find fails to
find anything.

The error is *always*: Object variable or With block variable not set
(Error 91)

I've tried it with and without using the "set" in front of the X assignment,
with and without declaring DIM X, alternately as Object and as Range

Range("A1").Select
x = Cells.Find(What:=",", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas,
LookAt:= _
xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext,
MatchCase:=False _
, SearchFormat:=False).Activate

If (x Is Nothing) Then
MsgBox "Not Found"
Else
MsgBox "x is " & x
End If

So, while it works okay with the "On Error Resume Next" statement inserted,
I must be doing something wrong for it to generate a stop execution
error...I'd like to find out what is the proper way of doing this. Can anyone
give me a clue?

Thanks