Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Pass function as argument to UDF

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 00:44:52 -0500, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

This isn't identical to your issue, but is certainly in the ballpark

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213841/en-us
XL: Passed Strings Longer Than 255 Characters Are Truncated

this may be related as well:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212013/en-us
XL2000: Calculation of Formula in Formula Bar Returns #VALUE!

You can encounter the 255 limitation in a variety of environments. Search
the knowledge base for excel and 255

Thanks for those references, Tom.

I did note the effect of the second reference with the formula =REPT("-",300)
exactly as was reported.

The first reference, although it clearly discusses a 255 character reference,
is not quite the same. I believe it is discussing passing strings from VBA,
whereas my problem is going in the opposite direction.

However, a common denominator seems to be that if a string 255 characters is
passed to a UDF using one of the functions listed in the second reference you
provided, an ERROR is generated.

Hmmm

--ron