Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Williams Tim Williams is offline

Default hierarchys - can you build an elegant hierarchy using vba

There is a treeview component you can use in VBA - if not in the toolbox
then right-click and choose "additional components" and look for "Microsoft
treeview..."

It will not hold all of the specific properties you list, but you should be
able to hold those in a collection of objects or similar construct and just
use the treeview to display the realtionships.

Tim

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"christopher ward" wrote in
message ...
dear tim sorry missed your reply

yes a treeview would be excellent - especially if it could add or delete

new
members and/or move the members to different places

for any hierarchy i always want a level , a name , a member , a parent or
child - property against any member in the tree

so can excel do this or do we have an OCX control - as yet i have not seen
one and i am feeeling excel cannot do this elegantly
--
C Ward

"Tim Williams" wrote:

A treeview is like the "folder" view in windows explorer. Isn't that

the
kind of thing you'd need in order for your user to visualize the

connections
they're making?

Tim

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"christopher ward" wrote in
message ...

what is a treeview ?

I guess at most a product dimension for me may have 4 levels and at

the
lowest level maybe 500 products although this figure may be 50

depending
on
who uses the sheet , lets say 50 codes who have 30 parents who have 4

parents
with a master code at top of hierarchy

--
C Ward

"Tim Williams" wrote:

Would a treeview approach work in this context?
What volume of data - 100's, 1000's of records?

Tim

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"christopher ward" wrote

in
message ...
i should also add if I have a hierarchy on products i need code to

add
or
delete or move any given item in the hierarchy - this

functionality
will
be
added to a system i have written in Excel 2003 and needs to be

user
friendly
- so far the systems works but i see no easy way for hierarchy

generation
over many dimensions even if they only have single hierarchys -

pivot
table
does not help me - i need raw codde to create the relationships

thats
easy
use - i can discuss offline if needed

--
C Ward

"Tim Williams" wrote:

Christopher,

What does this translate to in terms of Excel ? I understand

the
concept
but what should the resulting excel file be able to *do* ? Is

it a
tool
for
creating the relationships, displaying the relationships, or

what ?

Tim.

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"christopher ward"

wrote
in
message

i have a sheet with a number of product codes as an example
using a hierarchy tool i want to create parents and

grandparents -
i.e
basic olap hierarchy on a dimension ( im used to Oracle OLAP

doing
this
naturally ) but i suspect i need an OCX control to help me -

it
must
have
been done before

--
C Ward

"Tim Williams" wrote:

What is it that you want your drill up/down function to do?

Tim

"christopher ward"

wrote
in
message

experts - I assume excel can not do this ...............

can anyone help ??

--
C Ward

"christopher ward" wrote:

hi all

a question to all you experts - is it possible to build a

basic
hierarchy
using vba ( I know Vb has an object in its toolbox )

or does anyone have an ocx etc ??

my sheet has a range of product values and i would like

build
drill
up
and drill down function usinf standard excel

if you reply - thanks in advance

--
C Ward - a novice user !!!!