Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Steven Drenker[_6_] Steven Drenker[_6_] is offline

Default Writing File in VBA with Unix line break

Using Mac, OS X 10.3.9, Excel X for Mac.

I need to write a text file in VBA with a Unix line break (ASCII 10 / x0A).
I'm iterating over a range of cells and writing out lines with:

Print #FileNum, Cell.Text & Chr(10)

Anyway, when I get my file written out, it's not performing as I expected. I
did a hex dump with TextWrangler and found that I'm not getting a linefeed
character written out. Here's a sample hex line:

0050: 00 0D 00 0D 00 64 00 69 00 67 00 20 00 31 00 39 .....d.i.g. .1.9

The first two characters should be a single line feed (x0A), but I'm getting
a double carriage return (x00 x0D).

Two questions:
1. It looks like Excel is putting out double-byte ASCII (all the extra 00 in
front of the actual ASCII characters). Is this correct?

2. Why am I getting ASCII 13 / x0D when I'm explicitly writing out ASCII 10
/ x0A?

P.S. I discovered that some common Mac VBA constants are not as expected:
vbCr 13
vbCrLf 13
vbFormFeed 12
vbLf 13