Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Judy Ward Judy Ward is offline

Default Need help finding text string in an Excel file

I just tried to look and see if there is any code. I clicked Alt+F11 to open
the VBE window. When I click on the VBAProject I get the message: "Project
is unviewable". Next I tried to record a macro and store it in the workbook
and got this message: "This command is not available in a shared workbook.
Unable to record."

I am not familiar with shared workbooks. The Excel file I am looking at is
Appendix A; there is also an Appendix B and C with the same "proprietary"
marking--that I can't find either.

As you can probably guess, the person who created these Appendices is not
longer here. Any suggestions on where I can look for the proprietary marking?

Thank you,
Judy

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

Have you looked in:
the Code
Hidden Sheets (possibly very hidden)
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Judy Ward" wrote:

I ran a findstr command from a DOS prompt and it finds the word "proprietary"
in an Excel file.

When I open the Excel file and use Edit | Find it does not find
"proprietary" anywhere (even if I choose Within Workbook Look in Formulas,
Values, Comments). I have looked in the header and footer. Any idea where I
can find the word "proprietary" in this Excel file? I have been told it
needs to be removed.

Many thanks for your help,
Judy