Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Steven Drenker[_5_] Steven Drenker[_5_] is offline

Default Data Labels Overrun Each Other

Hi...I've got an XY Scatter plot. I used VBA code from John Walkenbach
(J-Walk) to add specific descriptive text to each plotted point rather than
the value of the point that is the (useless) default in Excel.

A number of my points are clustered close together, so the descriptive texts
run on top of each other making them illegible.

Has anybody written VBA code to automatically reposition labels so they are
all legible? This would require calculating the distance from one point to
its neighbors and moving the data labels if the points are too close
together. If there is a cluster of three points, one label may have to move
up, another stay put and the third move down.

This sounds like an interesting (and difficult) math challenge.

Moving the labels manually on a lot of charts is a real pain in the neck.

TIA!
Steve