Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default Help with Spreadsheet for Handicap

Hi Cathy

To return the column number of the highest value in the row it is
=INDEX($B$3:$S$4,1,MATCH(MAX(B4:S4),B4:S4))+1

For your conditional formatting, use the dropdown to select Formula Is
rather than Cell Value
Condition 1, Formula Is =B4=MAX($B4:$S4)
Condition 2, Formula Is =B40

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Cathy" wrote in message
Think this is all just slightly out of my league.

Your formula works perfectly, however I am struggling to find a way to
use conditional formatting to highlight the 4 numbers used in
calculation in light blue and the number discarded in red.

I have made the changes as per your formula and reloaded the sheet

http://www.greenwichyachtclub.co.uk/racing/Book1.xls

I guess I am looking for column t to show the column number of the 5th
value counting from the left but if there is an easier way then I will
be all ears.

Thanks again in advance for any assistance.

Kind regards
Cathy