Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dan McCollick Dan McCollick is offline

Default Comparing data on two tabs

Thanks for the replies so far. Tom, I saw your post linking to ADO.
And this seems much more familiar to me(as i could use sql). One
problem I am encountering so far. I can not return a recordset
containing mulitple records?? here is my code so far

Private Sub getData(sourceFile As String, SourceRange As String,
TargetRange As Range, IncludeFieldNames As Boolean, TypeofClass As
String)

Dim TargetCell As Range
Dim i As Integer

dbConnectionString = "DRIVER={Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls)};" &
"ReadOnly=1;DBQ=" & sourceFile
Set dbConnection = New ADODB.Connection

On Error GoTo InvalidConnection
dbConnection.Open dbConnectionString 'open the database
'Set rs = dbConnection.Execute("[" & SourceRange & "]")
Dim rstTables As ADODB.Recordset
Set rstTables = dbConnection.OpenSchema(adSchemaTables)
Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
SQL = "Select * FROM " & SourceRange

rs.Open SQL, dbConnection

Set TargetCell = TargetRange.Cells(1, 1)

If IncludeFieldNames Then
For i = 0 To rs.Fields.Count - 1
TargetCell.Offset(0, i).Formula = rs.Fields(i).Name
Next i
Set TargetCell = TargetCell.Offset(1, 0)
End If
If TypeofClass = "Prosight" Then
While Not rs.EOF
TargetCell.Offset(0, 0).Formula = rs.Fields(1).Value
TargetCell.Offset(0, 1).Formula = rs.Fields(10).Value
TargetCell.Offset(0, 2).Formula = rs.Fields(0).Value
TargetCell.Offset(0, 3).Formula = rs.Fields(31).Value

rs.NextRecordset
Wend
End If

'TargetCell.CopyFromRecordset rs

Exit Sub

InvalidConnection:
MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation, "Incorrect Data"
End Sub

The Err.Description = "Current Provider does not support returning
mulitple recordsets from a single execution"