Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
bpeltzer bpeltzer is offline

Default Cell description/comment/tool tip?

Check the 'Input Message' tab under Data Validation.

"Ian Cowley" wrote:

Is it possible to set Excel to provide a tooltip or cell description or
comment for individual cells?

here's what we have:
A third-party file format is double-quote-delimited comma-separated
variables, such as:
"RX","1","Joe","Bloggs","23012006","123456","","", "34567"
"FIELD","1","6","Fixed","Sym","10","5","34567"
and so on.
So each line has a different number of elements.
We can import the file into Excel easy enough, and I've written a macro to
re-export the file with the quotes and commas and stuff.
But each element in each line means a different thing. For example, the
third element of a line that starts with "RX" is the first name of a person,
and the fourth element the surname. But the third element of a line that
starts with "FIELD" is the energy in use and the 4th element is the modality
used.

So what I want is to be able to import the file into Excel (easy enough with
Data Import), but have a macro or an add-in running so that when a user
clicks on a cell or hovers over it, a tooltip or description or comment or
something pops up telling the user what the cell means. So hovering over
the third cell of a line where the first cell is RX would put "First Name"
into such a pop-up thing.

Is this even remotely possible? In Powepoint there's the notes fields for
slides, is there a similar sort of mechanism for Excel?

Many thanks in advance,

--
Ian Cowley
Bishop's Stortford