Bill Ridgeway

You need a helper column by which to sort.
=left(a1,5)
will give you the 5 leftmost characters

Sort on the helper column (to bring together cells that will need to be
changed) and amend any unwanted characters to give 5 significant characters

As a refinement you could highlight the helper column and click on
<Edit<Copy<Edit<Paste special<Values<OK to change the output of all
formulas to text.

Now use this column to sort.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Ronnie" wrote in message
ok...I have complied a list of my DVD collection and what I am trying to
do
is alphabatize the list. What problem I have when doing it is when I
click
sort button it always groups words like "A" and "The". I want it to
ignore
those words and focus on the word after "A" or "The"