Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Vacation's Over Vacation's Over is offline

Default Setting Public Variables Error

GB -
interesting. but the way i see it there are constants, variables and data.
OP seemed to be looking for constants.
your approach to "remembering" variables seems to me to be addressing what I
refer to as data. user action can change the value and if program is
terminated and restarted (crash or user shutdown) you still want the "new"
value without repeating steps - then it's data and should be written to a
range in thisworkbook. variables are used to vary a value durring a session.

as to global variables i typically have a separate module "Global Variables"
where constants and variables of PROJECT level are declared.

I'm not preaching just trying to help and fishing for feedback:)

"GB" wrote:

Yes.. If you put the call to "set" your variables in your ThisWorkbook
section when opening the document, then the variables should be set.
However, I think that I have seen instances where the values get "corrupted"
or lost. I typically use a module that contains a series of functions that
return the value I want "globally" set. I did this after I ran into a
problem of Excel not being able to maintain a global list of variables on the
order of 30 or something.. Or if the program errored, then the variable
values were lost. That way I had everything I needed stored in one place,
and I could put my eyes on the value if I needed to review it, and not hunt
down where I had implemented my global value(s).

"clmarquez" wrote:

Thanks guys. I understand now. I just thought that if these were going
to be set to the same thing, that I could somehow "globally" set them,
and not worry about having to re-set them in each individual macro.

Instead of setting them in each individual macro, could they somehow be
"globally" set once somewhere else outside of public declarations?
Maybe in Workbook or something? Or, do you advise against it?

--
clmarquez
clmarquez's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29386