Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected][_2_] joeu2004@hotmail.com[_2_] is offline

Default Why doesn't "private" work?

Thanks for all the suggestions, notably from Peter, GB and
Chip (up to this point in time).

The "private" functions are intended to be documented as
part of an example. So suggestions for hiding their
existence from the user are not applicable. And since I
want to make the documented example easy to use, it is
counter-productive for me to move some functions into
other modules; too difficult to document. Of course, the
simple solution is to include the comment "internal; do not
call from spreadsheet". But I was hoping for something a
little more ironclad and less verbose.

I am surprised that Walkenbach got this "wrong". But
arguably, that is subject to interpretation of what he means
by "so that users __don't__ try to use it". Perhaps he was
intending to use "private" as simply a documentation tool
in that context.

PS: I neglected to mention that I am using Excel 2003.
That is moot at this point, but I should have mentioned it.
Thanks again for the responses.