Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Brain lock: using array formula within VBA?

Dim x, arr1

x = "TheName"
arr1 = "NameList"
ActiveCell.FormulaArray = "=IF(OR(" & x & "=" & arr1 &
"),""Found"",""Not Found"")"

although you only have a single test so I do not know why there is an OR in
there

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Ed" wrote in message
I'm just getting my feet wet in using array formulas. I'm beginning to

get
a glimpse of their usefulness. Unfortunately, I work almost exclusively
from within VBA, vice entering a formula on the worksheet. I grabbed (I
think!!) how to enter an array formula into the worksheet using VBA. But
somehow it's slipping past me how to use an array formula entirely within
VBA code.

For example, from John Walkenbach's book "Excel 2000 Formulas", he gives

an
array formula for determining if a range contains a particular value. In
his example, a single cell is named "TheName", and a 5-column array of

names
is named "NameList". His array formula is {=IF(OR(TheName=NameList),
"Found", "Not Found")}.

If I want to do something like this entirely within VBA, then TheName is
likely to be a variable "x" and NameList an array "arr1". And I do not

want
to display text in a cell, but do this if true, do that if false. Am I
barking up the wrong tree on this? Or is there just a simple thing I'm
missing?

Ed