Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] fdr@regus.mailshell.com is offline

Default Macro syntax to open file in current explorer folder

Pt 1 : MS Excel 97 SR-2
-----------------------

I would like to use a macro code line starting
Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=".\AmsAll-1.prn", _

to open the tab delimited file "AmsAll-1.prn" in the folder from which
I launch the
Excel application. However the ".\" path qualifier always reverts to
the C: drive, not the K: mapped drive that I access all my project
files from. It is inconvenient to navigate several levels down to the
project from C:\ just to run this one application.

The following does work :
Workbooks.OpenText FileName:="k:.\AmsAll-1.prn", _

however then the macro is not compatible with other engineers
(flame-nix of Three Crub - this is a pre-emptive stop bid to decline
any flames
because of my profession)
who use these project files in different folders (on their C: drives).

I did a little experiment and placed the following ahead of the
OpenText function

curDrive = Left(CurDir, 2)
ChDrive (curDrive)
curDrive = CurDir

turns out that the very first call to CurDir returns
"C:\Documents and Settings\....fubar....

I guess that is something configured to be the default startup folder
for excel, no doubt changeable from tools-options. Even if changing
this to k:\ would not overcome the problem below :

Pt 2 : MS-Excel 2000 9.0.2720
The engineer currently trying to use this worksheet runs the above
version. On his PC the file is loaded in
C:\AFUBAR\

Yet on his PC the following
Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=".\AmsAll-1.prn", _

throws some or other error, when I really expected it to work ???

All reasonable offers accepted,
Fred.
2006-01-10(Tue)