Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] jkpieterse@netscape.net is offline

Default Renaming Invalid Defined Names

Hi,

I do have a utility that is able to do batch fixing of corrupt names.
Send me an email if you want it.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

P. Dua-Brown wrote:
What I'd like to do automate the renaming process. Let say I have 32 invalid
names is there a way to use vba to rename each of the invalid names to new
valid names let's say Junk1, Junk2 ... Junk32?

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Depends on what you mean by automate.

Jan Karel kind of automates it in his addin--but the user still needs to

respond
to the dialog.

If you mean that, then you could do the same kind of thing--toggle that

setting
and have the user ready to answer the prompt.

"P. Dua-Brown" wrote:

Hi Dave

Thanks for the link. My query is it possible to automate the manual

method
you've stated?

Regards
Preeti

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name
Manager has
the ability to fix these invalid names.

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

You can also do it manually.

Tools|options|General|check r1c1 reference style
then
Tools|options|General|uncheck r1c1 reference style

You'll be prompted at one of these steps to supply a new name for

those
invalid
names. (I forget which one!)

"P. Dua-Brown" wrote:

Hi
I'm using Excel 2003 and would like to know if the following is
possible.

Some of the spreadsheets used in the office started life in Lotus

1-2-3
and
now contain loads of defined names! I can remove most of the names

but
some
are a bit more tricky as they contain characters such as %, $, & and
even
squares.

Reading through past threads I have figured out that by switching to
R1C1
notation through the Tools, Options, General tab I can rename the
invalid
ones. So I use Application.ReferenceStyle = xlR1C1 to switch over

and
then
the Name Conflict dialog box is displayed and I'm able to enter new
names
(one at a time) for each of the invalid ones. What I would like to

do is
automate the renaming of the invalid names in the Name Conflict

dialog
box
to Junk1, Junk2 etc.

Is this possible???