Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel
Max Max is offline

Default searching a large database with a long list of search terms

My interp is that on the summary are lookup values
that may or may not be on any one of 6 sheets.
Basically, it's just a lookup across multiple sheets. I
don't understand your use of "precedence" ???????

My presumption was that there could be multiple "city" returns for the same
lookup value in col A within the 6 sheets. And that the OP might want to
see all of it before deciding next steps.

An illustration ..
For eg: for "aaa", there could be the data
for "aaa" in sheets: 1,2,3,4 such as:

aaa new york (in sheet: 1)
aaa chicago (in sheet: 2)
aaa miami (in sheet: 3)
aaa houston (in sheet: 4)
[ No "aaa" in sheets 5 & 6 (say) ]

Using nested IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP1),IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP2), ... ), or, your array
formula would return only the "1st" matching value, depending on how the
nested "IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP.." is structured (i.e. the "precedence" order: Check
sheet: 1 first, then check sheet; 2, then sheet: 3, and so on). Or, in your
array, depending on the order that the sheets are listed in WSList. If I
list: 1 as the 1st sheet (at the top in WSList), it returns: new york.
Change the top to: 2, it'll return: chicago. "3" will return: miami. And so
on.
(Btw, it was a nice array, Biff.)

Hope the above clarifies a little better what I meant by "precedence".
Just slightly different interps on the OP's needs, nothing wrong either way.
--
Rgds
Max