Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] rrstudio2@icqmail.com is offline

Default Extract Digits Questions

I found a nice function and modified it to take out digits (and a
decimal) from a cell however don't get one line. The whole function is
------------------------------
Function ExtractDigits(cell As String) As Variant
'extract 1st continuous set of digits
'David McRitchie, 2001-09-26
Dim i As Long, flag As Long
flag = 0
ExtractDigits = ""
For i = 1 To Len(cell)
If Mid(cell, i, 1) = "0" And _
Mid(cell, i, 1) <= "9" Or _
Mid(cell, i, 1) = "." Then
flag = 1
ExtractDigits = ExtractDigits & Mid(cell, i, 1)
ExtractDigits = ExtractDigits * 1
Else
If flag = 1 Then Exit Function
End If
Next i
End Function
This seems to work, however if the cell is 12.3mg it will display the
result as 123. If I comment out the ExtractDigits = ExtractDigits * 1
then it returns it as 12.3 which is what I want. So what is this
ExtractDigits = ExtractDigits * 1 doing? I can't figure out why it
changes 123 to 12.3.

Thanks,
Andrew V. Romero