Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Niek Otten Niek Otten is offline

Default importing undelimited text file data, character-by-character

You probably formatted the number like 0000000000000000000000000000000000
or something like that. Indeed splitting it will give you the original
number of digits.
Use (in a separate cell) =TEXT(A1,"0000000000000000000000000000000000") or
whatever format string you used: then it will take the number of digits that
you specify.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"The Mos$" <The wrote in message
I am trying to import a text file into an Excel worksheet so that each
character goes into a separate cell. There is no character which delimits
the
characters which comprise the data (ie. the data looks like this: '1023B4'
and worksheet should have '1' in the first cell, '0' in the next, '2' in
the
next, and so on.
At the moment I have used OpenText to import all the data into the first
cell and then used string functions to copy the Nth character into the Nth
cell. However, some of my data from the text file looks like a very large
number when imported to the worksheet and appears as something like
'1.62234211131231E+32'. I have changes the cell number format in various
ways
and can get the number to APPEAR as it should in the first cell before I
use
the string functions to move it to the appropriate cell. However, the
number
it moves is always of the form '1.62234211131231E+32'.
Is there a way to turn off this representation of the data as a number ?
Or
is there a better way to import each character into a separate cell ?

The text files will contain numerous lines of data in the way I have
described but the exact size will vary from file to file.

Excel 2002