Wai-Yee

I followed your instructions below, but unfortunately it didn't work. I must
clarify that the save menu doesn't pop up only in Excel version 2003 and only
when I use the select File - Close. The save menu pops up after I make a
change every other way to close a file except for File - Close.

I do not have macros in any of my workbooks and I also unchecked all the
add-ins. But I still have the same problem. I guess I'll just have to
remember to close the file using the "X" or put the "close" function on the
toolbar :(

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

This isn't normal behavior for excel (any version).

If you try it with excel in safe mode, does it work ok?

close excel
windows start button|run
excel /safe
file|open your workbook
change a cell
file|close

Do you get prompted?

If you do, then maybe you have a macro in that workbook (or some workbook)
that's stopping the popup from appearing.

If it only happens in that one workbook, then look in that one workbook for
macros.

If it happens in all, then look for any workbook with macros.

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors at:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes at:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

Essentially, you move all of the stuff out of XLStart and you turn off all the
addins under Toools|addins.

Then you start adding things back one at a time and testing each time to see if
the problem is fixed. When you add something back that causes the problem to
come back, you'll have to decide what to do with that addin.

Wai-Yee wrote:

In Excel 2003, I would like the save menu to pop up "do you want to save
changes that you made to 'Filename.xls'?" when I click on File, then Close.

Sometimes I am doing a calc in the file itself, which is not meant to be
saved. In prior versions of Excel, using File-Close does not automatically
save changes. Does anyone know how to make the menu pop up, or turn off the
autosave function?

Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson