Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
YoungGuy YoungGuy is offline

Default Help with CommandButton vs Excel 2002

Hi,
I am fairly new at programming for Excel so please forgive my
naivety. I am trying to port an Excel workbook with macros from a
Windows machine to a Mac. After opening the workbook on the Mac I
found that none of the macros seemed to work. Upon further
investigation I found that whatever version of Excel that was used to
create the workbook used an "=EMBED("Forms.CommandButton.1","")"
construct for all of the buttons on the spreadsheet. I read several
articles on line about using command buttons and tried some of the
examples but the versions that I have (2002 on Windows and 2004 on Mac)
do not create an "=EMBED()" construct. Instead they just create a macro
call like "Sub Button1_Click()". When I went through the workbook and
deleted all of the "=EMBED()" constructs and just linked each button to
the appropriate macro it seemed to work fine on both the Windows and Mac
machines.
Now I have gotten deeper into the workbook and have found that
"=EMBED("Forms.CheckBox.1","")" and "=EMBED("Forms.OptionButton.1","")"
are also used. When I tried to create my own checkbox or option button
I found that these also did not use the "=EMBED()" construct any more
and just linked to a macro such as "Sub MyCheck_Click()" or "Sub
MyOption_Click()". With the "=EMBED()" form you could get the value of
the check box by looking at, for example, MyCheck.Value but that no
longer seems to be the way to get at the information on if the box is
checked or not. I tried the following two tests but without success.
They always return "False".

Sub MyCheck_Click()
If MyCheck = True Then
MsgBox "Checked"
ElseIf MyCheck = False Then
MsgBox "Unchecked"
Else
MsgBox "Neither state returned"

Sub MyOption_Click()
If MyOption = True Then
MsgBox "Checked"
ElseIf MyOption = False Then
MsgBox "Unchecked "
Else
MsgBox "Neither state returned "

So, my question is twofold: 1) Have things changed with respect
to the form of the "CommandButton" between versions prior to 2002 and
2002?, and 2) How do I now get to the value of the checkbox?

Thanks for your help!

--
YoungGuy
YoungGuy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29654