Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004[_2_] joeu2004[_2_] is offline

Default COUNTIF - help please

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:
Amanda, see the equivalent COUNTIF solution that I provided.

I am not sure that is what she wants given that she included
this sentence in her original posting...
"It should counts only numbers with suffix 'V'"

I raised that very point in my initial response to Amanda. It is also
unclear that Amanda intended to exclude cells with non-numbers followed by
"V", or in fact all of her cells are of the form "number" or "numberV", and
she wants to exclude those that are not "numberV".

Anyway, those are questions for Amanda to answer. If she wants to exclude
non-numbers followed by "V", you have provided an adequate formula for that
purpose.

In the quoted response to Stan above, I did not say my COUNTIF formula met
Amanda's needs.

I said it was an "equivalent" solution. Equivalent to what, you might ask
thoughtfully? I think that is clear in the original context: equivalent to
Stan's SUMPRODUCT alternative, which does not distinguish what precedes "V"
at the end, if anything.