Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Neil Goldwasser Neil Goldwasser is offline

Default Button to set colour of selected cells & then force sheet calc

Thanks again Norman. I'm really starting to pick things up now, little by
little.

Thanks for the reply regarding the position of the message box too. Although
your other suggestion worked an absolute treat, it's great to find out about
these other functions - I'm sure I'll use every single one of the nuggets of
information at some point.

By the way, you may be pleased to know that I used a couple of function- &
macro-based excel activities in my lesson observation on Monday (5th). Not
only did my students love them, my observer was also raving about them too!
Passed with flying colours!

Cheers again, Neil

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Neil,

I realise that I inadvertently, partially, elided over:

I also just had a few novice macro questions (sorry if they appear really
daft!). At first I couldn't run the macro or assign it to a button, until
changed the "Private Sub" in the first line to just "Sub". In layman's
terms,
what do these mean and what is the difference?

I assumed that you would use buttons from the Control Toolbox. If, in design
mode, you double-click on the button, you will be taken to the sheet's code
module and an empty button click event procedure will be added, e.g.:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

End Sub

For immediate purrposes, and over simplifying, the sheet module should be
used for event procedures relating to the sheet. Other (non-event) macros
should normally be stored in a standard module. However, read Chip Pearson,
as suggested, for an in depth discussion.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Neil Goldwasser" wrote in
message ...
Many thanks Norman! I continue to learn from you!
Both great suggestions, the winner this time being the second one.
Although
I quite like the message box popping up, it opens in the middle of the
screen
over the top of some of the cells that would need highlighting. Although
we
both know that it is easy to drag the box to one side, some of my students
are really not used to computers at all (some having never touched one
before
this term!) and it could confuse them. The second model avoids this
potential
issue.

I've put the second one in and it works a treat!

Just out of curiosity, is there a way of specifying that a message box
opens
anywhere other than the centre of the screen, or is it a big procedure to
alter this?

I also just had a few novice macro questions (sorry if they appear really
daft!). At first I couldn't run the macro or assign it to a button, until
changed the "Private Sub" in the first line to just "Sub". In layman's
terms,
what do these mean and what is the difference?

I was also just wondering what the differences are between inserting a
macro
in the sheet under "Microsoft Excel Objects" and inserting a module and
putting it there?

Don't worry if these will take a long time to explain, but I really
appreciate you furthering my education.

Thanks again, Neil