Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Neil Goldwasser Neil Goldwasser is offline

Default Button to set colour of selected cells & then force sheet calculat

Having read up on two fantastically informative websites about excel colour
functions:
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

I have inserted the UDFs suggested so that the spreadsheet counts how many
red cells there are within a certain range. However, as explained on the
sites, changing a cell's colour does not trigger a worksheet calculation, so
if one or more cells change the result of the formula used is incorrect until
a manual sheet recalculation.

The xldynamic website suggests "to overcome this, you need to force a sheet
calculate. What I do in applications that use this technique is to create a
button(s) to set the colour(s), and within the code attached to the
button(s), I do a manual sheet calculate".

Unfortunately I do not know how to do this. Ideally I need to create a
button that will (a) turn the selected cells red and (b) then automatically
run a sheet calculation, so that whenever cells are altered with this button,
the formula is ALWAYS correct.

Could there also be a button included to turn all cells in the same range
back to "no fill" (i.e. clear answers so the user can start from scratch
again)?

Could anybody help this macro learner please?

Many thanks in advance, Neil Goldwasser

PS - I have only just this afternoon learned what a UDF is, and discovered
that I could only get it to work by placing it in a module, rather than
attaching it to a sheet's "Microsoft Excel Object". Is there a rule on when
to include new modules? Or can I put all the UDF's into one module?