Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
StargateFanFromWork[_3_] StargateFanFromWork[_3_] is offline

Default 1 column with YES and NO responses. Can we sum for ea. total of Y

"StargateFan" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 17:24:02 -0800, "Ron Coderre"
wrote:

Try this:
B1: =COUNTIF(A:A,"YES")
B2: =COUNTIF(A:A,"NO")

Does that help?

Yes. Added this this afternoon to the 2 cells and it worked perfectly!
Thanks. :oD

***********
Regards,
Ron

"StargateFanFromWork" wrote:

I just had a rush job to do up an Excel sheet while my supervisor

dictated
the data to me as she interpreted the emails/faxes with various

One column in particular had YES and NO as the possible data type. In

the
end, I was to total up the number of YES answers and put the total in

one
cell; and then to do the same for the NO answers. These YES's and NO's

are
all in one column, unfortunately, but the sum of each we put into 2

cells.
Is there a formula that I could have used for each just substituting a

value
that would work with the YES answers and another that would return the

total
of the NO answers?

I had a filter and because this was a rush just filtered for each and
counted them up and inserted figure manually, but it would be good to
automate this as they'll need to be inputting more data as responses

come in
over the next 5 days. Hoping there's a way to deal with the two types

of
data.

Thank you!! :oD