Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
pbrase pbrase is offline

Default How to preserve leading zeroes

I have an Access database that via VB oode pumps data into a spreadsheet.
Some of the data looks like numbers, but in fact are billing codes, etc.
that need to be treated as text, not as numerics, so that the leading 0s are
preserved, e.g., "001765" should appear, not "1765". For the life of me I
cannot find a simple answer to this seemingly small problem. I have tried
everything I can find in the Excel/VB documentation and I always wind up with
"1765". If I had any hair to begin with, I would have torn it all out by
now. {Full tirade that would appear here has been omitted to preserve
space.} Any suggestions? Thanks!