Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Countif then multiply

see response in worksheet.functions

--

HTH

RP

"Gee-off" wrote in message
A B C
1 S6 S4

The "S" indicated in A1 & B1 represents an group idenitifer for my Tool
Accountability system. The number following the group identifier is the
actual number of items found in that group. I guess what I really want to

do
is take the values in A1 & B1 and add whatever number is entered after the
group identifier (regardless of how big the number is). In other words, I
want C1 to return a value of 10, with no S in in that returned value.

Does
this make more sense?

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Unless countif will always be 1, or if more than 1, then all cells

beginning
with S will also have 6 as a second digit, your request doesn't make

much
sense.

but for your specific case that works

=countif(A1:B1,"S*")*Mid(A1,2,1)

Tom Ogilvy

"Gee-off" wrote in message
A B C
1 S6 B2

I know how to use the countif function as if to count all values that

equal
"S*" (value beginning with "S" only regardless of the following

number) in
row. Then tally, per row, the number of times "S*" appeared in the

range.
The formula for "C1" would be: =countif(A1:B2,"S*") which right

now
would
return the value of 1. Now what I want to do is in addition to this

formula,
I want "C1" to also calculate the countif portion and then multiply

the
countif returned value by the second number in the stated cell. i.e.

A1
=
S6, so "C1" has a value of "1", now mulitply the "1" by the second

digit
in
"A1" (which is 6). How would I go about this?