Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default XP and string paths

It was not at all obvious to me that the higher item in that link was a
response to an item below. Subject lines do not relate to each other. I've
no idea what's inside the file being discussed but I suspect the suggested
solution is specific to that file.

But even having read all that it doesn't describe what occurs or does not
occur that causes your problem, in particular the phrase "string path
problems". I know now that term does not originate from you, but the way it
was used by the author in the response as "the" diagnosis is highly
misleading. As I suggested before, I suspect it's due to a missing
reference. Which may well involve paths, but not directly string paths.

Depending on the missing reference, if indeed that's the problem, you might
be able to fix it your end, eg by setting a ref to the earliest version.
However if it's a ref to some non system registered file that's path
dependent then it will need to be fixed on each machine (might be possible
to do that programmatically).

Until you know and understand the cause of the problems I would strongly
recommend you regard my suggested fix as temporary. It may or may not be OK
to leave that way.

A common cause of such problems is distributing a file built in a later xl
version to earlier versions (always build in the earliest). Though as it
sounds both you and your users all use XP that's unlikely to be the problem.
So I can only guess you have set a ref to something else in your system. But
the simple first thing is ask one of your uses to report any missing
references and go from there - is that not possible.

Regards,
Peter T

"PerlsB4Swine" wrote in message
Let's take a look at what the link I posted says about string path
problems:

In the first comment it says, "...However it started falling apart in
Chapter 2 when the Excel VBA Projects included with the book would not
work. This appears to be due to missing VBA references such as "LCase"
and "Format". Where I can find these and how I can install them is not
mentioned anywhere."

The response to that is:

"The errors mentioned in the previous review are caused by changes in
the path to the VBA string functions when using Windows XP. You can
always just enter the code as is written in the book into a new VBA
project using Excel and it will run fine. But the simplest solution is
this:

1.) Open the project that is giving you trouble.
2.) Select 'Move or Copy Sheet...' from the Edit menu.
3.) Choose to Move the selected sheet to a new workbook to create a
copy.
4.) The new workbook should look just like the previous workbook. Only
now the library paths will be updated to what's on your computer and
the program will work. You will have to save the new workbook or the
program will be lost when you close it and you will have to repeat the
above steps."

Does that help you understand how the link I posted describes the
"string path" problem? In short, Excel VBA apparently has trouble
finding string functions when a previously-created workbook is placed
on another Windows XP machine.

If I distribute this app to hundreds of users, I can ask each one of
them to go to Tools/References and look for missing references, or I
can try to fix the problem in code so they don't have to do that. If
"fully qualifying" the string paths with "VBA.Strings" will accomplish
that, then it qualifies as more than a "temporary fix," eh?

I'll give it a try, thanks.

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:27:29 -0000, "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions
wrote:

I don't see any ref to your problem in that link and not sure what you

mean
by "string path problems", nor how copying sheets makes things work. Your
question is very vague.

If (guessing) you are saying your VBA string functions break, your

problem
may be due to missing Reference(s). In user's vbe look at

Tools/References.

As a temporary fix to get your string functions working, fully qualify

back
to VBA, eg

s = VBA.Strings.Left$(sText)

DateTime functions can be similarly affected, possibly others too.

If above fixes best to get to the route of the problem.

Regards,
Peter T

"worf" wrote in message
.. .
I am having "string path problems" when porting an add-in to different
xp machines (This works fine on my XP development machine). See a
reference to the problem he

http://www.exceltip.com/book-1931841047.html

Is there a way around this problem using code so that my users don't
have to copy all of the sheets to a new workbook in Windows XP in
order to make the VBA string functions work properly?