Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Terry Detrie[_2_] Terry Detrie[_2_] is offline

Default VBA, SQL, and multiple versions of Excel

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 05:17:05 -0800, "K Dales"
wrote:

Does the game require users to have MSAccess installed, or does it use a
runtime version?

The only thing I can think that might be causing this is if some users do
not have MS Access Database as a recognized ODBC DSN; you could perhaps have
them check to see if this is so.

Are there any recognized similarities between the users who have this
problem? Particular versions of Win, or Excel, or Access?

The game does not require MS Access, although it does require MDAC
2.8. I've gotten positive feedback from users without MSAccess on
their machines, so I'm assuming the MDAC is enough.

So far I've only received 2 reports of failed Initialization. One was
XL2000/Win98, and the other was XL2002/WinXP (both German).

FWIW, my computer is XL2002/WinXP. I have personally tested my file
on machines running XL2000 and XL2003 and it worked fine. I also
tested it on XL97 and it bombed horribly, but gamers tend to gravitate
towards new software so I'm not worried about that scenario. :)