Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Creating an Excel Add-In

Barb

Personal.xls is created the first time you record a Macro using Macro
Recorder.

It is used for making macros available to all open workbooks.

ToolsMacroRecord New Macro. A dialog box will come up asking you name the
macro and where to place it. Pick Personal Macro Workbook from the dropdown.
Copy and paste a couple of cells then Stop Recording.

You now have a Personal.xls in your Office\XLSTART folder. You can go to
Visual Basic Editor(Alt+F11) to view the macro you just recorded in a Module.

You can add more macros by recording or by typing/copying them into the
Module.

In this case, copy the macro code into the module.

You can do a FileSave from there or better yet hit ALT + Q to return to the
Excel window.

Then with Personal.xls active, hit WindowHide.

When you close Excel you will be asked if you want to save Personal.xls. Yes!

It will open hidden next time you start Excel.

NOTE: when assigning macros to buttons or menu items you will have to precede
the macro name with Personal.xls.

i.e. Personal.xls!macroname

An alternative to Personal.xls is to create an add-in(*.xla) with your macros
in it and load it through ToolsAdd-ins.

The benefit of this is that you don't have to precede the macro name with the
filename.

A disadvantage is that you will not see the macros in the ToolsMacroMacros
dialog.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:07:03 -0800, "Barb Reinhardt"
wrote:

How do I put it in Personal.xls?

"Alok" wrote:

Hi Barb,
For just one Macro, you may be better off putting it into Personal.xls.
Add-Ins are generally used to contain a small applet.
If you do still want to put your Macro into an Add-In you may like to refer
to a good Excel book - like Excel Bible books by John Walkenbach.
Alok

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

I have a macro that I'd like to make into an Add-In. Can someone direct me
to the procedures I'd need to follow to do this.

Thanks in advance,
Barb Reinhardt