Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Can I get the inserted picture's original filename.

John,

Someday I'll figure out which version to post..... this version has your path, not mine ;-)

Dim myName As String
Dim myPicName As String
Const myPath As String = "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\"

Sub InsertPicture()
myName = "0ead1e14.jpg"
ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert(myPath & myName).Select
'get rid of spaces and periods, illegal characters in picture names
myPicName = Replace(Replace(myName, ".", "xxx"), " ", "qqq")
MsgBox myPicName
End Sub

Sub WhatFileNameIsPicture()
Selection.Name = myPicName
MsgBox myPath & Replace(Replace(Selection.Name, "qxq", "\"), "xxx", ".")
End Sub

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"john" wrote in message ...
I used the following code to insert a picture into a xls file.

ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My
Documents\My Pictures\0ead1e14.jpg")

But I want to get this inserted picture's original filename days later. And
I want to export this inserted picture to a picture file by VBA code, not by
copying and pasting. Can I do it by VBA code. I use the Name property of the
inserted picture. But The property return "Picture 1" to me. How can I get
the original filename and export it by VBA code.

Best Regards
John Black