Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Williams Tim Williams is offline

Default Connect to Oracle using Microsoft ODBC for Oracle

Your client machines will need the Oracle client/nw files installed.
No way around it I'm afraid.

Tim.

"Kent" wrote in message
I am developing an Excel workbook to be sent to many users on our
company network. I want to query our version 8.1.7 Oracle database.
Here is the beginning of the code I am using to make the connection:

Sub Get_Data()

Dim RecordSet As ADODB.RecordSet
Dim ConnectID As New ADODB.Connection
Dim User_ID As String
Dim Database As String
Dim Password As String
Dim Connection_Info As String
Dim i As Integer

On Error GoTo error_handler
Err.Clear

User_ID = DatabaseLogonForm.UserIDTextBox.Value
Password = DatabaseLogonForm.PasswordTextBox.Value

Connection_Info = "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle}; " & _
"CONNECTSTRING=(DESCRIPTION=" & _
"(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)" & _
"(HOST=server1.ccf.sw.org)(PORT=1521))" & _
"(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=test))); uid =" &
_
User_ID & ";pwd=" & Password & ";"

ConnectID.Open (Connection_Info)

When i run the code I get the following error:

"The Oracle(tm) client and networking components were not found.
These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of
the Oracle version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation.
You will be unable to use this driver until these components have
been installed."

I don't want to have to visit each desktop to load drivers. I
assuemd the Mocrosoft Oracle driver would work. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.