Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JGouger JGouger is offline

Default Compare and align columns of data

I have two large files that I've combined into one sheet. They both list
account numbers and amounts charged. The account numbers could be the same
in both lists or could be in one list but not the other. I want to compare
the account numbers which would be in columns A & C. If they are the same I
want to move down and compare the next row. If the account number is in
column A but not column C I want to insert cells into C & D, then drop down
and compare the next row. If the account number is in C but not A I want to
insert cells into A&B and drop down to the next row and continue.

Before
A B C D
a/n
1 1.00 1 10.00
3 2.00 2 11.00
5 3.00 3 12.00
7 4.00 6 13.00

After
A B C D
1 1.00 1 10.00
2 11.00
3 2.00 3 12.00
5 3.00
6 13.00
7 4.00

I have never mastered the macro functions in Excel. I used to be able to do
this in Lotus. Any help would be appreaciated