Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
bpeltzer[_2_] bpeltzer[_2_] is offline

Default Help with entering data

You may be able to use vlookup. Ex, if your case name is in A2 and your
master list is in columns A and B of the worksheet named TableSheet,
=vlookup(a2,TableSheet!A:B,2,false). The caveat is that this requires that
your table be organized with the case names to the left of the case numbers.
If that's not the case, you can try
=index(TableSheet!A:A,match(a2,TableSheet!B:B,fals e)). The formula would go
in the 'other cell' where the case number is to appear.

"depthdeception" wrote:

Here's what I am trying to do. I have two columns, one with case names
and the other with case numbers. On my spreadsheet, I have a cell with
a drop down box which allows one to choose the case name from a list.
Is there a way that the corresponding case number can be automatically
entered into another cell when the case name is selected?

Thanks for the help!

Joel