Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba
Harlan Grove Harlan Grove is offline

Default PLEASE READ IF YOU PROGRAM: Help Continue Visual Basic

wrote...
yeah. everyone uses javascript.

that doesn't mean that i can't write apps 4 times as fast as your java
kiddies.

Unproven. It's easy to make big claims.

And you're the one constantly drawing the equivalence most widely used
= BEST.

Can't maintain the logical consistency of your arguments, can you?

IE has a 85% marketshare. IE is 100% compatabile with vbscript.

And 100% compatible with darn near all the malware out on the Internet.
What a program!

I can create a spreadsheet; add a bunch of cells and do whatever i
want.. i can reuse my excel macros-- in a webpage. I can do anything
in the world.

Except maintain the consistency of your arguments.

Don't you wish your langauge was portable like me?

Portable between a few Microsoft products. We just don't share the same
definition of 'portable'.

PHP can't make a spreadsheet. Python and Perl; i mean-- what the hell
have you been smoking?

Dunno about PHP and Python, but if you want to create XLS files in per,
visit CPAN and search for the module Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-2.15.

Why does every developer need to learn 20 million languages?

They don't. It appears most who write Internet (as opposed to intranet)
find javascript sufficient. And when it isn't, the beauty of languages
that evolved from C is that if you know the basic syntax from one, you
know the basic syntax for all. Python is the odd one out, but it's
already pretty widely used in Linux/BSD/Solaris/Unix and Windows
systems (dunno about Macs).

Do you know what they had the nerve to do? They rebooted out AS400
once a month.
I mean WHY?

WHY WHY WHY?

Probably for the same reason it's a good idea to reboot Windows NT4 and
2000 boxes once a week if not more frequently.

I've never worked for companies that used AS/400 minis, only for
companies using mainframes running under MVS and Unix (Solaris
actually) servers.

because IBM can't COMPETE with Windows. Windows is more reliable, more
secure-- than any of this other crap that is put out by IBM.

Dunno about OS/400, but AIX, mainframe Linux, MVS and VM are pretty
solid, though definitely not small box OS's.

and just for the record; IIS _IS_ gaining ground on apache. IIS6--
part of Windows Server 2003-- is the best product to ever come out of
redmond. It is fast, stable, secure-- it is almost the same price as
apache. It supports native compression-- so everything in the whole
wide world you do just got 30-50-70% faster.

Apache is free, and when running under Linux, the OS is also free. IIS
may be bundled with Windows Server, but Windows Server ain't close to
free. And your claims about IIS gaining on Apache are refuted by the
Netcraft survey data. IIS hasn't gained ground on Apache in years. Or
do you have your own survey results from tens of millions of web
servers? Or are you just talking out your backside yet again?

Just because your company is run by a bunch of IBM con artists; that
doesn't mean that it's the best solution. I mean.. if you need to get
a list of all your users in your company.. how can you get info out of
notes and into an access database?

It's called NotesSQL. It's an ODBC driver. You do know what ODBC is,
don't you?

THERE ARE A LOT OF APACHE CONFIGURATIONS THAT ALLOW VBSCRIPT, FOR
STARTERS.

A quick few Google searches make it seem that Apache::ASP only supports
Perl. You'd need Chilisoft to run VBSCRIPT, but Chilisoft seems to have
negligible market share. See

http://www.securityspace.com/s_surve...d=Q2hpbGlzb2Z0

So where be all these Apache configurations running VBSCRIPT? Mostly in
your imagination?

What is more relevant for you today, ebay or Craigslist?

Neither.

MS _DOES_ use vbscript on the server side.. it is automagically
interpreted depending on what browser you're using. can apache do
THAT?

Opening the quetion whether servers should behave differently for
different browsers.

i know that they do; i've seen it and written it there. Have you
worked as a web developer at Microsoft?

Nope. I know you claim to have. Odd that such a valued ex-contractor
has his posts regularly purged from Microsoft's own nntp servers.
You'll find your rants in this thread in Google Groups but not on
msnews.microsoft.com. Wassa madda, they can you because you have the
interpersonal skills of a virulent bacillus?

Now as for server side scripting, since most sites run Apache, it's not
a stretch to infer that most of those sites are running mostly Perl
code. It's a certainty few if are running VB<whatever.