Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
David McRitchie David McRitchie is offline

Default Maximum number of characters in a cell

In VBA you want to use vbLf as it is only CHR(10)
which is Line Feed that Excel will pay attention to,
and you will have to turn on cell wrapping in your code,
or in the formatting for the column.

In Excel for a text constant. The can use of Alt+Enter is what
will extend the display. It will also turn on cell wrapping.
Not documented in the specifications that you can increase
the number of characters displayed by doing this. You can
use CHAR(10) in a worksheet formula concatenation.

In a Worksheet Formula you would also be limited to:
Length of formula contents 1,024 characters

In your Excel help look up "specification"
---
HTH,

"Bill Murphy" wrote in message ...
RD,

I'm having trouble inserting a manual line break in my text, so I must have
a syntax problem. I'm doing this in a function named fConcatChild, and
returning the results to a query which is then exported to Excel using Excel
automation from within Access. Here's the code in my function:

' insert a hard return for display in Excel if the string is longer than
255
If Len(fConcatChild) 255 Then
fConcatChild = Left(fConcatChild, 255) & vbCrLf &
Right(fConcatChild, Len(fConcatChild) - 255)

End If

I'm still getting only about 255 characters in the cell in Excel to which
this variable is exported. Am I using the wrong Visual Basic constant
vbCrLf?

Bill

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
If you would add some forced (manual) line breaks (<Alt <Enter) in your
text at opportune locations, you will find that you can *display* much

more
text.
--
HTH,

RD

-

-
"Bill Murphy" wrote in message
Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255
characters?

Bill