Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Thomlinson[_4_] Jim Thomlinson[_4_] is offline

Default Worksheet Functions that Change Other Cells

Nope there is no way around it. A function called within a worksheet can not
change the contents of other cells. The only exception that I know of is that
it can change the contents of a comment for another cell.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Robert Mulroney" wrote:

There seems to be some kind of security that prevents a function called from
a worksheet changing other cells (on that sheet or anyother). Is there anyway
to get around that? I'm hopeing to update a range of cells when the sheet
calculates without using the "onCalcluate" event.

In fact I know that it's possible because I use a thrid party product that
does just this. How it does it is somewhat of a mistery to all of us.

To hopefully make myself clearer if I call this function:

Public Function timesTheyAreAChanging() As String
timesTheyAreAChanging = "Time"
Range("A3") = Now()
End Function

From a worksheet using:

"=timesTheyAreAChanging()"

then it returns an error result.

Yet if I comment-out the line that changes another cell then it works fine.
This is obviously a simple example what I want to do is much more complex but
the problem remains the same.

- Rm