Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bill Murphy Bill Murphy is offline

Default Maximum number of characters in a cell

RD,

I'm having trouble inserting a manual line break in my text, so I must have
a syntax problem. I'm doing this in a function named fConcatChild, and
returning the results to a query which is then exported to Excel using Excel
automation from within Access. Here's the code in my function:

' insert a hard return for display in Excel if the string is longer than
255
If Len(fConcatChild) 255 Then
fConcatChild = Left(fConcatChild, 255) & vbCrLf &
Right(fConcatChild, Len(fConcatChild) - 255)

End If

I'm still getting only about 255 characters in the cell in Excel to which
this variable is exported. Am I using the wrong Visual Basic constant
vbCrLf?

Bill

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
If you would add some forced (manual) line breaks (<Alt <Enter) in your
text at opportune locations, you will find that you can *display* much

more
text.
--
HTH,

RD

-

-
"Bill Murphy" wrote in message
Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255
characters?

Bill