Anne Troy

Incredible. I read this post last time through, even verified that what you
said was true, at least in 97 and 2003, and never even noticed it was you.
Hi!!!
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"byundt" wrote in message
It's either a bug in 2003 or in the earlier versions--because there

shouldn't
be different answers from a function as old as COUNTIF. I called it a bug

in
2003, just because of the weight of history.
--
Brad

"Mangesh Yadav" wrote:

I am using 2003 and 65533 should be the correct answer.

Mangesh

"byundt" wrote in message
1) Open a new workbook.
2) In cells A2, A4 and A6 enter the word "dog".
3) In cell B1 enter the formula:
=COUNTIF(A:A,"<dog")

In Excel 2003, I get 65533.
In Excel 97, 2000 and 2002, I get 3 (for the three blank cells between

A1
and A6)

Thinking that it might be a corrupted Excel 2003 install, I asked a

friend
to check his results--and he confirmed my experience. I'm using

version
11.6355.6408 SP1.