Abuzzmaster

I don't really understand. I typed in ..5 and got "..5". No percentages. Why
2 decimal points? If you try on your excel, you'll see that .05 and 5
entered, both give you "5%", when they should give you 0.05% and 5.00%,
respectively. I still don't get it. If you check on your other computer and
come up with something, please let me know. Thanks. I'm using Excel 2002.

"Ragdyer" wrote:

What version are you using?

Right now I'm on a XL97 machine.
Formatting a range to % with 2 decimal places, and entering:
..5
and
0.5
Give 2 completely different results!
..5 = 50.00%
0.5 = 0.50%

Now, I remember seeing on my XL02 machine, a setting in,
<Tools <Options <Edit tab,
A setting that I don't have on my 97 machine.
Something relating to %'s ... something about % entries (can't quite
remember without looking).

Anyway, if your version has this option in the <Edit tab, try making
various entries with it checked and unchecked, and see it helps.
(Can't check mine 'til tomorrow morning)

RD

"Abuzzmaster" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet I work with every day and I use fractional

percentages,
between 0-1%. If the field is formatted as Percentage, and I type in ".5",

it
reads it as 50%, which it would be if it weren't a percentage. But it is.
It's a half percent. By typing in "50", I also get 50%, which doesn't make
sense. If I type in "5" I get 5%, if I type in ".5", I should get .5%. Is
there a way to make this happen, or is this just a glitch in Excel? Please
help me figure this out. Thanks.