Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jake Marx[_3_] Jake Marx[_3_] is offline

Default Excel: only THREE conditions for conditional formating of cells???

Mat,

This has been a limitation of Conditional Formatting since it was released.
Microsoft has apparently listened to end users' frustrations with this
limitation (among others), and will be seriously revamping CF in Excel 12:

http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...13/480599.aspx

Jake Marx
www.longhead.com

Mat from Nancy, France wrote:
Excel is a tremendously powerful application. Why the miserly, or at
least seemingly arbitrary, restriction to three (magic number?)
conditional formats for a given cell or series of cells?

I am a university lecturer/administrator at the Université de Nancy 2
in France and use Excel amongst other things to record details for
incoming admissions candidates for a vocational English course. The
admissions procedure includes a test whose result determines whether
candidates are refused, or allowed into various different level
groups. I would like the column which shows the decision to
automatically display "refused" in red, "abandon" in red italics,
"accepted advanced level" in blue, "accepted intermediate level" in
green, and so on. Why can I only program three conditions and not
more (or can I, and I just haven't figured out how to?).

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming