Connie Martin

Yes, I meant to say "protect the sheet". Thank you, too, for the combination
to break into the safe!! I always heard there was a way to do it but had
never searched it out!

Connie

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

You don't need to password protect the file, just the sheet.

Note, however, that this will only provide protection from inadvertent
overwriting, not any security. If someone has the gumption to find these
groups, they'll be able to bypass the Worksheet Protection in about 30
seconds. See

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

In article ,
"Connie Martin" wrote:

Select all cells that DO NOT require to be locked, go to
FormatCellsProtection and remove the check mark beside "Locked". Click
OK. Then go to ToolsProtect Sheet and check all boxes and put in a
password. This way people can type in cells unprotected (filling out forms,
etc.) but cannot alter cells that have been left locked. However, you must
password protect the file for this to work, and you must do it in this order.
Hope this helps. Connie