Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Lava[_12_] Lava[_12_] is offline

Default Check if date is valid

I've got an Excel sheet for data-input. For dates it should be possible
to define either a year or a complete date (day-month-year). If one
defines a year it is being converted to 01-01-year. In latter case the
exact date is not known or doesn't matter.

Anyway, for this reason I cannot use the DateFormat for the cells of a
column ("E"), because it would turn 2005 into something like 12-03-1905
or something similar I can't use. I've formatted the cells as Text.

How to check if the entered full date is a valid date?

I can check with CInt(Mid(Cells(i, "E"), 4, 2)) 12 in a For-loop with
parameter 'i' per row and similar If-constructions if the individual day
and month field are not faulty, but 31 April or 29 February (when
there's only 28 days) shouldn't pass the check.

So I'm wondering how I can check the dates? IF it's possible.

Later on the Excel sheet's data will be imported by a PHP script where
all fields are checked again just to be on the safe side and properly
inserted into the database. Question "why bother with Excel-level
checking?". Answer: it's been requested by my employer. If isolated day
/ month checking is as far as I can go... okay, nothing to be done about
that, but IF there's a way to check if a complete date is valid....
please share your thoughts :)

--
Lava
Lava's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27793