Jim May

Been studying this more since posting, and I suppose the formula is of the
"array-type" Index() and according to help, if the 1st argument is a single
row or column, then row number (Max()) produces the array-element number in
the index (arg1);
Also, besides, the last 0 (zero) I originally took to refer to the column
argument, when in fact it is the 3rd part of the row argument (the
Match_Type)..
Sorry, for the "false-alarm"; I think I got it now.

"Jim May" wrote in message
How is it that we test using the row argument only (getting the maximum)
and Excel returns the column letter; and we give the column argument 0
(zero)..??? programming,, go figure...

"Domenic" wrote in message
Try...

E2, copied down:

=INDEX($A$1:$D$1,MATCH(MAX(A2:D2),A2:D2,0))

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"EK" wrote:

A B C D Result
1 2 3 4 D
1 2 4 3 C
3 1 2 4 D
4 3 2 1 A

I would like to know the formula to get Result.