Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Boca J Boca J is offline

Default Search & Extract various strings from many files to one excel file

Hi,
Any suggestions you can provide for me on this problem are very apppreciated.
I am trying to pull specific data from within a large number of files into
one single listing in an excel sheet. I have a list of files (approx. 1000)
that are saved without extensions or in some cases with meaningless
extensions. (e.g. .12n, .101, .m, etc.). The file name actually represents
a part number. I need to pull the complete file name of each file into one
column of excel. I also need to pull utilization data from each file and
place it in the corresponding row of the excel list. For example, the output
in excel would look something like this:

Filename Utilization
101222 0.67
1032.5n 0.55
10b55.1 0.76

Within each file, the utilization numbers are specified in various ways. In
some cases, the are following the text "SHEET UTILIZATION". In other cases,
they follow the text "Efficiency". There may be other cases as well. In
addition, in some cases there is no utilization number in the file - in which
case I would like to return "not available".