Sandy Mann

John,

You don't indicate who's post you are replying to and as I think the both
Harlan's and Robert's formulas are better than mine I will leave them to
explain them to you.

To get a percentage of the various codes: say your codes are entered in
A1:A100, enter a list of the codes you use - say in C1:C12. format D1:D12
as Percentage and in D1 enter the formula:
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,C1)/COUNTA($A$1:$A$100) and copy down to D12

If your data will always be a fixed number of codes in Column A then you can
shorten the formula to:
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,C1)/100

--
HTH

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

"London" wrote in
message ...

lovely....

is there a simple way to explain the formula?!

also ...

I nw have a column of different codes (grades) - and i'd like to know
how many and what % are at grade. Should I try to do this with the
returned code or on the original number (which i assume would be
easier) ?

So it could read...
% at '2b' ... 15%
% at '3c' ... 68%