Sandy Mann

wrote in message
I have taken a slightly different approach to the other suggestions and
would welcome all feedback on it.

The op's aim is to take a number of grades, average them and return a
grade not a number.

Firstly define a Name with a standard list of grades
eg, Grades
={"1a","1b","1c","2a","2b","2c","3a","3b","3c","4a ","4b","4c","5a","5b","5c"}

then the average grade from a range is
=INDEX(Grades,ROUND(AVERAGE(MATCH(A1:A10,Grades,0) ),0)) array entered -
control shift enter

change A1:A10 to reference a list of grades

what do you think?

Cheers RES

Well I don't know about anyone else but I think that it is very good and
well thought out. I've certainly learned some more.

I was checking up on this thread via Google at work and found a strange
thing happening that I have never encountered before. This is probably more
to do with Google than Excel but it
may be a problem for people reading on Web Based readers. When I copied your
grades, which looked fine in Google, and pasted into a worksheet I got:
Grades
={"1a","1b","1c","2a","2b","2c*-","3a","3b","3c","4a","4b","4c-*","5a","5b","5c"}

I don't know where the two minus signs came from but they disappeared again
when I copied from the spreadsheet and pasted into this post. In your
formula the MATCH function ended up as: MA-TCH on the worksheet.

On my 1st post in this thread the UPPER became UPP-ER when pasted into a
worksheet but in Harlans reply it showed up in the worksheet as UP-PER and
my reply pastes it as U-PPER.

In Harlan's formula the 2 in the MID function became -2 when posted.

This happened at work in XL 2002 and at home in XL97. As I said it is
almost certainly something to do with Google but at least XL highlights the
error when you paste form the net page.

Regards

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk