Posted to microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.excel.programming
mayayana mayayana is offline

Default How to create a self extracting zip file that starts excel with a macro

Most zip programs (in addition to CAB) will also
create self-extracting files (SFX), which you can have
unpacked to the TEMP folder, with or without user
interaction, and then set a file to be opened after
unpacking. But either way it has to go as an EXE file.
A plain zip won't work. So the target machine has to
be set up to allow EXEs in email.
I use PowerArchiver 6 and, if I'm not mistaken, I
think that it will open any file from the SFX. So you
could have it run a .VBS setup script or just have
it open an excel file directly, if that works.

It used to be easy to use that kind of method, but
many people now have over-zealous security and
email filters. Many people can't receive an EXE and
may not know how to override that restriction. Many
more people will have anti-virus that acts up if you
try to run a VBS file after unpacking. You can, ironically,
avoid that problem by using a compiled EXE inside
the SFX instead!

--

(Remove Xs for return email.)
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have created a pivot report against a .CSV data file.

Everymonth I want to email the combination of the CSV file and the
Excel pivot report to our users. So once the user clicks on the zip
file it must save the CSV file in say c:\temp and then save the Excel
pivot report as well in c:\temp and the Excel workbook pivot report
start against the file in C:\temp

Please help with code how I can do this.

Thanks
Karen