Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
delmac delmac is offline

Default find first o from right

Using the code below exactly does not work at all. I cant get by the 1st line
when I use the step-into function in the VB module. If I remove the (Input
String) As String I can step into the module OK but nothing happens in the
spreadsheet. Is there anywhere I have to declare A UDF , like function
add-ins or something.Thanks again.
Public Function ByteReverse(InputString) As String
Dim InputString As String
Dim i As Long
Dim ByteStr, ResultStr As String
ResultStr = ""
For i = Len(InputString) To 1 Step -1
ByteStr = Mid(InputString, i, 1)
ResultStr = ResultStr & ByteStr
Next i
ByteReverse = ResultStr
End Functio
--
delmac

"Stefi" wrote:

Hi Delmac,

You shouldn't omit InputString from line
Public Function ByteReverse(InputString As String) As String

because it contains the string to be manipulated.

What is the content of A1? If it doesn't contain "0" then it gives #VALUE!

First try Function ByteReverse separately, and check if it really returns
the characters in reverse order, e.g. if A1 contains JOHN, then
=ByteReverse(A1) in say B1 should return NHOJ.

Regards,
Stefi

€˛delmac€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

HI Stefi, this is what i put in the module: when I use the
search(bytereverse)line a nothing happens at all: If I use the line Function
ByteReverse(InputString As String) As String I cant get past the the 1st line
when I step into the module:
If I use the code below I can step through the moduke but nothing happens
when I use the =SEARCH("0";ByteReverse(A1))
Am I missing anything at all: Thanks for all your help so far.
Public Function ByteReverse() As String
Dim i As Long
Dim ByteStr, ResultStr As String
ResultStr = ""
For i = Len(InputString) To 1 Step -1
ByteStr = Mid(InputString, i, 1)
ResultStr = ResultStr & ByteStr
Next i
ByteReverse = ResultStr
End Function

--
delmac

"Stefi" wrote:

Hi Delmac,

First: I forgot to declare it Public:

Public Function ByteReverse(InputString As String) As String

Second: Where did you place the function code? It should be in a normal
module?

Stefi

€˛delmac€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

When I tried this I got this message, it couldn't find the UDF how do I get
round this. Thanks again for your help
=SEARCH("0",ByteReverse(D2))
#NAME?

--
delmac

"Stefi" wrote:

=SEARCH("0";ByteReverse(A1))

where cellA1 contains the number to be searched.

The ByteReverse UDF:

Function ByteReverse(InputString As String) As String
Dim i As Long
Dim ByteStr, ResultStr As String
ResultStr = ""
For i = Len(InputString) To 1 Step -1
ByteStr = Mid(InputString, i, 1)
ResultStr = ResultStr & ByteStr
Next i
ByteReverse = ResultStr
End Function

Regards,
Stefi

€˛delmac€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

HI all I have a column of numbers that includes o such as 0045a
078
009. Is there are formula that enables me to find the first 0 from the
right. Thanks for all your help on this and previuos requests.
--
delmac